Basil is a very fragrant herb that can be effectively used to treat headaches. Basil acts as a muscle relaxant, which is why it is useful for treating tension-related headaches.
Eating fresh basil leaves can enhance the body’s immune defenses.
Fresh basil leaves stimulate the nervous system and improve mood. Basil extracts are used as a remedy for depression and headache.
A decoction of basil with a small amount of table salt is used to rinse the mouth with toothache.
Basil is a good tonic. It enhances immunity, strengthens the body after various infectious diseases. Basil preparations help with upper respiratory tract infections, inflammatory kidney diseases, and problems with the circulatory system.
Its healing properties are used in the fight against depressive states, to strengthen the central nervous system. Therefore, basil is used to restore physical and emotional strength, helps to relieve feelings of fear and anxiety.
If you put dry basil grass near the bed – the dream will be calmer. For this purpose, you can also take an infusion or decoction of herbs.
In Indian culture, basil is believed to improve memory and increase the intensity of brain activity, and also has an immunostimulating effect on the body.
This is probably why the holy basil in India – it is considered the second sacred plant after the lotus. In history, basil has been known since ancient Egypt, where they figured out how to use the plant for mummification, and due to its repellent properties, it can also be used to combat bloodsucking insects.
What is useful fresh basil?
Basil for weight loss
Basil is very useful for people who want to lose weight. 100 g of leaves contain only 27 kcal. The plant perfectly satisfies hunger. In addition, during the diet, the body loses many useful substances, and when eating basil in food, this deficiency can be filled.
Holy basil for stress
Not only chocolate will help you quickly get rid of stress, but basil too. The plant contains a lot of vitamin C and antioxidants that have a beneficial effect on the nervous system. And potassium in the composition lowers blood pressure, which is associated with a nervous state.
Basil is a headache remedy
Weather changes, flights, insomnia – all of the above is only a small part of the causes of a headache, but if there is a basil in the refrigerator, it is much easier to deal with it. The plant contains antioxidants camphene, cineole and eugenol, which have a sedative effect. So there is a natural pill for migraine.
Basil tea twice a day is an excellent home remedy.
Put a few fresh, washed basil leaves in a glass and let it brew for several minutes before eating. Drink tea slowly and your headache will gradually go away.
1 tablespoon of dried basil pour a cup of boiling water and leave to infuse. When the infusion cools down, it’s about an hour later, you need to strain it. The cure for headache and migraine is ready.
On the first day, drink the infusion four times. First half a cup, then a third of a cup.
On the second day, a fresh drink is prepared and drunk to fix the effect three more times in a third of a cup.
The use of such a remedy for frequent headaches can significantly weaken them, in addition, pains appear less and less.
With frequent dizziness, it is recommended to take 2-3 g of crushed basil seeds 20 minutes before meals.
During a headache, you can chew fresh basil leaves or massage your head with pure basil oil.
How to Dry Basil
Spicy herbs are good both in fresh and in dried form: they are equally used in the preparation of various dishes and medicinal purposes.
Many people in the summer ask themselves “How to dry basil?”, Because you want to enjoy its unusual taste and smell and get vitamins even in winter. Read how this dried spice is useful, and how to dry it in different ways: in the oven, in an electric dryer, and in a natural way.
Dried Basil: Benefits
Dried basil, if dried in accordance with all the rules, is as healthy as fresh. Purple basil or green dried basil retains the same vitamin and mineral composition.
Composition of Dried Basil
- A lot of vitamins – K, A, C, E, etc.
- A variety of minerals – manganese, iron, zinc, phosphorus, copper, selenium.
- Saponins and glycosides.
- Sugar and volatile and sugar.
- Essential oils.
When to collect basil for drying for the winter
Is basil dried? Of course, it is dried along with other herbs, then to be used in cooking or for treatment. Which is better: freeze basil or dry? Is basil frozen or dried?
They do both: if you have the conditions for storing frozen or dried herbs, you can dry or freeze the basil.
If you are interested in basil, when to collect it and how to dry it, we will first examine the topic of collecting raw materials.
What parts of the basil can be dried? Only leaves and young stems (tops of stems).
Harvesting basil for drying
When to collect basil for drying? Raw materials for drying must be collected before the plants bloom. If the raw material is collected at the time of flowering, it will lose its unique smell and taste.
So, as soon as the plants have gained color, choose a sunny, dry day and proceed to the collection of young shoots with leaves.
This is done during the second cut – in the middle or end of September, but you can also dry the basil, plucked in the first cut.
When to collect basil for drying? It is better to collect greens in the middle of the morning, when the sun has dried the leaves a little, but they still have the right amount of moisture.
How to store dried basil greens
Well-dried grass can be stored in two ways:
- We put the whole leaves with young stems in a package of thick paper.
- We grind the dried raw material into powder and put it in ceramic or glass containers with tightly closed lids. You can use jars for spices.
It is better not to store it in canvas bags, unlike many other herbs, dried basil quickly loses its taste and smell.
We store the dried spice in a cool, dry place where the sun does not penetrate.
Now you know that for the winter basil is better to dry or freeze. We learn how to properly dry basil at home.
Drying basil for the winter
If you are a fan of this spicy plant, then you will probably be interested to know how to dry basil for the winter in order to add healthy greens to dishes in the cold season. There are several options: in the oven, dryer and in a natural way. Consider all of these ways to know how to dry basil at home.
How to drying basil in oven
Before you dry the basil, we harvest the raw materials, rinse it and dry it. How to dry basil? We lay it out on paper towels: they absorb glass of water. Change towels if a lot of water drains.
After 1-2 hours, proceed to direct drying:
- Preheat the oven to dry the basil: the temperature should be 80-100 degrees.
- We line the baking sheets with parchment and spread the dried raw materials.
- We put the baking sheets in the oven, leave the door ajar and wait 1-2 hours. During drying, fragrant aroma will float around the home.
The mass of dried leaves and stalks will be reduced several times, but they will become even more aromatic.
You know how to dry basil in the oven, now we will learn how to dry basil in an electric dryer.
Drying basil in an electric dryer
To preserve the smell and taste of this spice, it is better to choose drying in an electric dryer.
How to dry basil for the winter in this way? Follow the walkthrough:
- Rinse the collected raw materials and shake to glass the water. It is best to dry only the leaves, as the branches are too coarse for this method.
- Put leaflets on pallets with a thin layer and put them on the base.
- At what temperature should basil be dried? Set the temperature to 35 ° C and turn on the device.
- Change the pallets in places every hour and dry the greens until 4 or more hours are ready.
Now you know how to dry basil in the dryer. If you do not have an electric dryer, and you do not know how to dry basil for the winter, we will resort to natural methods.
How to Dry Basil in a Natural Way
Learn how to dry basil for the winter in two simple ways.
How to dry basil without appliances
- Rinse the leaves thoroughly in running cold water.
- Dry the leaves by spreading them on paper towels so that it does not mold during drying.
- Lay out the leaves in one layer on clean paper, baking sheets or cloth, cover with loose gauze so as not to gather dust.
Choose one of the options for proper drying of basil:
- In a dry, warm place – under a canopy, on the veranda, in a house where there is no increased humidity and stagnation of air.
- In the refrigerator, on foam trays or paper towels. The cold will draw moisture while retaining color and aroma. Under such conditions, the leaves dry out in about a week.
We remove the dried leaves for storage or pour in a jar for spices.
How to dry basil by hanging
- Select a well-ventilated place (not in the sun) and hang the bundles so that they do not touch each other. You can hang them in a room with an open window or under a canopy.
- Harvest shoots with leaves and make bundles by tying them with an elastic band or thread.
- Dry the bundles for a couple of weeks – the leaves should become brittle and dry. To check the readiness, bend the twig. If it has broken, the greens have dried up, if it bends, we will wait again.
Knowing how to dry basil for the winter, you can easily do without an oven or an electric dryer. When the bunches are dry, rub them and rub them into powder.
Pour dry basil into jars and glue a label with the name of the plant, so as not to confuse with other spices. It goes well with garlic, tarragon, onions, sage and rosemary.
Now you know how to dry basil yourself. It remains to harvest and stock up on this spice for the whole winter!